This is the course website for CS444/544, Data Visualization.
- Instructor: Carlos Scheidegger
- TA: Nathan Sema
- class email:
Use this email for urgent class-related questions and
comments. It will reach both Nathan and Carlos. For content
discussions, please use Piazza.
- Lectures: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2:00PM-3:15PM, GS906
- Office Hours: Tuesdays, 9:00-11:30, GS734. Otherwise by appointment only.
- Week 2, HTML/CSS/SVG Basics.
- Week 4b, Introduction to d3
- Week 5, d3 selections and joins
- Exploratory Data Analysis, Data Cleaning, Project Discussion
In the final project for CS444/CS544, students picked a dataset of
their choosing (as long as it was sufficiently complex, as defined by
the instructing staff), and created an interactive visualization from
scratch. The final project page includes a list
of the projects as submitted by the students.
- Jan 20th: the web browser as a dev environment; HTML; CSS
- Jan 22nd: DOM, SVG
- Feb 3rd: Talking to a server, AJAX
- Feb 5th: d3 intro
- Feb 10th: d3 selections, joins
- Feb 12th: d3 scales, transitions
- Feb 17th: Exploratory Data Analysis, d3 data loading, cleaning
- Feb 19th: Color Vision 1
- Feb 24th: Color Vision 2
- Feb 26th: Bivariate colormaps, other perceptual channels,
Cleveland/McGill, Separable-Integral channels, Mackinlay’s APT.
- Mar 3rd: Pre-attentiveness, Gestalt, higher-level channels
- Mar 5th: Interaction, Filtering, Aggregation
- Mar 10th: Algebraic Design Process
- Mar 12th: Design criticism
- Mar 17th: Spring Break
- Mar 19th: Spring Break
- Mar 24th: Review
- Mar 26th: MIDTERM
- Apr 7th: Line Plots, Dot Plots, Scatterplots, Small multiples
- Apr 9th: Linear Algebra review, PCA
- Apr 14th: MDS, Other dimensionality reduction 2
- Apr 16th: Trees, Graphs, Hierarchies
- Apr 21st: Trees, Graphs, Hierarchies
- Apr 23rd: Spatial Data: heatmaps, contour plots, vector fields
- Apr 28th: Spatial Data: heatmaps, contour plots, vector fields
- Apr 30th: Methods for large data; binning, sampling
- May 5th: Uncertainty/Probabilistic Data
- May 7th: Dead day
- May 12th: Finals week
- May 14th: Finals week